Pine Hill, originally known as Clementon Heights, became a borough in 1929. It was aptly named by Johanna Burton for its many pine trees and hills. Known in the early years as a health retreat, city doctors would send patients to the area's lakes to rest and enjoy the healthy springwater, fresh air, and hot sands. As word travelled, Pine Hill became a destination for families looking to spend a day away from the city. Stecky's lake and restaurant on Cloverdale Avenue was a popular resort until fire destroyed it in the early 1930s. People from Philadelphia and surrounding areas would travel by trolley and taxi to reach the area. Cars rarely made the trip, as they would require help getting up the steep hill between Clementon and Pine Hill. Cars would have to travel backward up the hill because they had no fuel pumps. Pine Hill is the highest point in South Jersey, and the Philadelphia skyline can be seen from the Pine Hill Golf Club, which was once Ski Mountain ski area.