Readington Township was created by royal charter on July 15, 1730, as Readings or Readings Town. The township consists of 48 square miles and is the largest in Hunterdon County. The early settlement patterns of the Dutch, English, and Germans, who came to farm the rich soil of the Raritan Valley during the 18th century, established the foundation of the villages and hamlets of the township. During the 19th century, the development of railroad lines in the region created additional villages and helped to bring the township s produce to larger markets. By the latter part of the 20th century, most of Readington s inhabitants were employed in diverse industries throughout central New Jersey, and the automobile made travel beyond the villages routine. Like the generations of residents before them, today s residents remain closely connected to their village communities, and a significant portion of the township s land continues to be devoted to agriculture."